Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Edmonton: in MY own words :)

I am thrilled to be in a class where people are unafraid to give their opinion and do not shy away from disagreement. The discussion on Tuesday focused a great deal on interpretation of people from the past and the different ways we viewed their actions and words. I did not give my opinion but thoroughly enjoyed everyone else’s and half the time when someone finished speaking, I found myself agreeing with them so either I am pretty easily swayed or there were some very convincing arguments put forth.

After thinking about Frank Oliver and exploring Goyette’s book a little more, I tend to lean more towards the view that Oliver was somewhat racist, though in a more uneducated than malicious way. I agree with those in class who put forth the argument that though he was attempting to avoid a conflict with the aboriginal people, he also made it more of an ultimatum than a mutually respectful agreement. I also agree that it seems as though the majority or at least many of the people from that time had biases against certain races due to many misunderstandings in society and how it was culturally acceptable to be racist during that time period.

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing what has changed over time. Racism used to be culturally acceptable, just like drinking while pregnant or smoking, or women not being allowed to vote! Yes, all these things are unrelated, but it still amazes me how much the human race has changed over time as we continue to grow and learn and evolve. It's just too bad that a lot of our learning comes after it's too late.

    I agree that Frank was a racist, but it was deemed OK at the time; after all, *insert sarcasm here* they were just natives, what were they going to do with the land? Live on it?

    P.S. Have you been to the Empress yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It's easy to be angry with the people from the past for their now obviously ignorant views and actions but we must always remember that the human race is always developing and at least I hope, getting better.

    And no! I haven't been there yet due to an insane schedule but I am hoping to go quite soon. I'll be damned if I let schoolwork keep me from delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is almost Hegelian in nature for us to be continually evolving in this manner...cultures through out history have evolved into what we have now...only a few hundred years ago it was acceptable to take a piece of flesh for an illegal action...only recently has the human race seen it appropriate to lock people up instead...punish the soul not the body...this, somewhat, is what led to the 'so called assimilation' of native americans...the either followed the european way of living or the were taken care of...in the US it took the form of irratication but Canada decided to use religion as a form...the treaties that were signed were usually undermined shortly after and the advent of residential schools was used to break the will of the 'nobel savage'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, it's the continuous development of human society that separates us from the (other) animals. Fundamentally, I don't think it's the people changing themselves, but changing the definition of concepts like racism, sexism, bigotry, etc. Despite popular belief, humans sometimes learn from the past and these realizations are what change society. But how far will we go before only a single idea is "acceptable?" [Perhaps I'll answer the question in a later blog entry]

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm struck by the of the metaphor "evolving" in this conversation. does it mean "getting better" or just "changing"?

    ReplyDelete