Thursday, February 12, 2009

One more day till reading week!

A parade is a spectacle. It is intended to bedazzle its audience and create a sense of unity for those who are involved.

The Solnit chapter we read was interesting because once again, we were given the opportunity to examine something that although is a definite part of life, is rarely looked at for the underlying effect and symbolism it has(in my case anyway). I have been really sick this week so unfortunately I missed out on our class discussions but this article was an enjoyable read despite not being able to dissect with the many opinions of our class as I would of enjoyed I’m sure.

One of my only and most recent memories of a parade is when I went to Calgary with my family and saw the zombie parade. I thought it was so awesome! I definitely wanted to join in but was thrilled to learn that they do something like that here in Edmonton every year. I will definitely have to look into that. I distinctly remember feeling jealous that I wasn’t a part of the parade. It didn’t matter that they were dressed up as the “weirdos.” Their spirit of fun and carefree attitude was infectious.

I hope everyone has a great reading week! :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw the zombies doing their thing. After a heart-stopping moment in which I wondered if I should run away, I smiled to myself and felt good about life in Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a zombie parade, but once I read that, I instinctively had a certain picture in my mind. I don't know when it is in Edmonton, but it's definately something that I would like to watch, if not participate. Just to see if my imagination comes close to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete